Monday, October 3, 2011

Zoey Rockshindle: Chapter 10

Mellisa was at school.
This turned out to be quite a problem for the desperate birds, and as they wandered around
anxiously on Mellisa's doorstep waiting for her to come out, just that thought dawned on Zoey.
She stopped pacing.

"It's Monday," she muttered.
"So?" Woody asked.
"Mellisa's at school!"
"Oh, no," Woody said. He paused. "Wait, what's school?"
"It's...there's no time for explaining! And there isn't enough time to go get Mellisa, either! Now,
 what bird regurgitates food for their babies?"

Woody thought, then said: "Hens! Hens do!"
"Good! I know a spot where there are hens!"

And off she flew, beckoning Woody to follow her.

Soon they arrived at an animal farm, and both birds plopped down on the fence overlooking the
chicken coop. Zoey couldn't help but realize that, before now, she had always thought of this farm
as a "pig dwelling" and had never really appreciated it. But she pushed that thought out of her
mind and swooped down into the farm.

"Excuse me, hen, but--hen? Excuse me--"
"BucAWK! BAWK! Bawk-bawk-bawk-BUCAWK!"
"Hi, I'm--"
"BAWK!!"
"I was just wondering if you--"
"Bawk bawk BUCAWK!!"

And that pretty much explains how visiting the chickens went.

"We're hopeless. Chickens won't even acknowledge our existence, they just keep blabbering away
about eggs and roosters. Anyway...we better go back and check on the baby bird."

They arrived at the park about two minutes later. Woody plopped down in front of their tree, followed by Zoey. To their surprise, a plump little chickadee sat inside next to a sleeping baby bird.

"Uh...hello?" Woody said.
"Oh, I'm sorry, is this your little baby bird? It just looked so hungry and helpless...I couldn't resist,
I had to feed it..."
"No, it's great that you fed it! We were just trying to get it some food!" Zoey was practically jumping up and down. "What did you feed it?"
"Well, it seems to like torn-up flesh. I tried everything, until I realized what it wanted."
"Thank you so much, um..."
"I go by Pin. And you?"
"I'm Zoey, and this is Woody here--" she gestured to her friend. "--we just came upon an egg one
day, and...it hatched after a while of sitting."
"That's very interesting." Pin said.
"Well, Pin, it's been nice having you. And I was wondering...I'm not exactly in the position to take
care of a baby bird...are you interested in adoption?" Zoey asked.
"Um...Really? Wow, yeah! That would be great! Could I stay here to look after him?"
"Yes, I think it's time for me to move on to a different home. The tree's all yours."
And that settled it.

No comments:

Post a Comment