Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Zoey Rockshindle, chapter 3: Mellisa's advise

"Well, that didn't go very well," thought Zoey as her furious mother slammed the great wooden door of their enormous mansion.

"I never realized how big our house is," she thought. It towered over all of the others on the block.

Zoey looked around her.
There was a park across the street, with children playing in it. Recently, a fire had damaged most of the trees in it. Down the busy road was a food co-op, a few shops, and her friends' house. suddenly an idea popped into Zoey's little mind.

Flap, flap, flap! She soared into the air, past a few trees, the co-op, the shops, until finally she arrived at her friend Mellisa's shabby little home. Zoey waddled up the wooden steps and pecked three times on the door then backed away. A round, chubby little face poked out of the house. The big, brown eyes filled with glee when they found a little black bird on the step.

There was one thing everyone knew. Millisa Waterlap LOVES birds.



"I'll call you Dino. You'll be my little snugglypoo. Yes, I could just tell, when I first saw you, I knew you were special! I think...I think you're a crow, little guy. I mean, Dino. Yeah, this handy little guide told me." She held up a book.

Zoey tried to roll her eyes. Mellisa was obsessed. First thing she did with Zoey was comb her feathers, give her a bath, then wrapped her in a towel on her bed and was
now sowing a blue shirt for her.

And, she thought Zoey was a male bird! Zoey tried to ignore all the
attention she was getting and stick to the plan. First, she flew over to a pen and paper on Mellisa's desk. Then she picked up the pen in her beak, and started writing. But it looked like scribbles, so Zoey took Mellisa over to their old typwriter.

She pecked the letters and managed, slowly, to tell Mellisa everything that had happened. By the time she finished, Mellisa was sitting there open-mouthed and wide-eyed.

"Zoey? Is it really you?" She said.

"SQUAWK!!" ("Yep.")

"You do seem a little to comfortable around people to be a bird."
Zoey bobbed her head and typed: 'I can make this sound:'
She squawked "CanIhavesome?!"

Mellisa laughed.
"The crone must've known you were always saying that," She said. "But I know what you've gotta do. You should stop trying to become human. Go have an adventure. Enjoy being a free, flying, beautiful bird. I've always wanted to..." Her voice trailed off.

Zoey pecked at her softly and typed: 'the grass is always greener on the other side.'
Mellisa smiled.

A little while later, Mellisa's dad Ninro (pronounsed Neen-row) came up to tell her it was dinnertime. But he took one look at Zoey and said:

"Oh, Mell, what've I told you about buying birds? I don't like the thought of animals in cages."

Mellisa quickly replied "Oh, right, Dad, sorry. I wasn't going to keep her, anyway. I'll just go set her free."

"You understand why it's wrong, right? Just imagine if you were in a cage." And Ninro went on talking about animals in cages until Blue, Mellisa's other father, came along to see why Mellisa and Ninro were not coming for dinner.

So, Mellisa ended up letting Zoey out the window, saying, "Remember what I said."
Zoey flew off to the park.

1 comment: